[Foundation-l] Re: Steward elections

Dariusz Siedlecki datrio at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:40:44 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> it would have been nice that you gave the time to the board to approve
> all the mentionned candidates.
>
> Next time we are supposed to give our opinion on the matter, it would be
>   best to actually allow 24 hours for doing so. I do not think it really
> matters in this case, but it would have both followed the elections
> rules AND be polite to us.

Okay, I have to agree I didn't wait for you - Angela and Jimbo
confirmed the 9 new Stewards, and seeing that you were interested
earlier in the election and didn't comment on any candidate, I thought
you won't have any doubts to any of them.

Well, I was just being bold, to make a long story short. I agree, I
should've waited for you to reply. Because of my behaviour, sorry
Anthere. Next time I'll wait for the whole Board to reply before
setting the rights, or doing anything else.

> Aside from this
>
> I suggest that in a few months from now, we set up a "reconfirmation" of
> current stewards (not those just elected, but the old chaps). Several
> have been removed in the past few months, mostly because inactive. But
> it might be that some editors are actually not happy with some stewards
> and might wish to change their minds with them.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. It would help in such situations
as Arno's stewardship ATM.

> Second, I suggest that a sort of policy be done with regards to the use
> of checkuser rights.
> Stewards can use checkuser rights. Checkuser rights may impact the
> Foundation privacy policy, so maybe the Foundation should have a say on
> who gets this access. And checkuser rights involve technical skills. So,
> these populations should be different.

Yes, that would be really useful. Right now I'm following my own
policy (go me), which says "If a project doesn't have CheckUsers, go
ahead with the check". But I know it isn't right and we should have an
official policy on that, or just simply state "Stewards can't do
CheckUser".

--
Pozdrawiam,
Dariusz "Datrio" Siedlecki