[Foundation-l] Re: A license for the Ultimate Wiktionary

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sat May 21 23:46:13 UTC 2005

Michael Snow wrote:
> Jean-Baptiste Soufron wrote:
>
>> changing the license of a running project is difficult, but not that
>> much.
>
> I'm skeptical about this claim, as I think it's much easier said than done.

One way that I can see is that the GNU FDL says that it allows
redistribution "under this same version of the GNU FDL or any later
version published by the Free Software Foundation" (paraphrased). As far
as I'm aware, the FSF already recognises our difficult position. I think
it would be only fair if they added something to the next version of the
FDL allowing large-scale projects such as Wikipedia et al. to switch to
a licence of their own, provided that this own licence fulfills certain
criteria that make it "free".