[Foundation-l] Information flow

Puddl Duk puddlduk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 14:33:14 UTC 2005

> Michael Snow wrote:

> > I want to add some thoughts on the transparency issue he raised. A very
> > critical part of managing any organization, especially one as committed
> > to ideals of openness as Wikimedia, is reporting back to everyone about
> > your activities. Given the transparency of most actions on a wiki,
> > producing such reports is especially important for off-wiki activity.
> >
> > In particular this applies to the board, the officers (including those
> > of local chapters), and the developers. I trust all of these people and
> > the processes by which they were chosen, but we still need to hear from
> > all of them regularly about their work. The proliferation of non-public
> > mailing lists and wikis adds to the concern. I understand that some
> > matters cannot be announced at the outset, and that deliberation and
> > delay may allow for a more thorough report. But on the other hand,
> > disappearing behind closed doors, not to be heard from again, is not an
> > acceptable option.
> > Keeping people informed is essential to sustaining trust, and makes a
> > tremendous difference in whether they will accept the decisions you
> make.
> >
> > --Michael Snow
>

> Right
>
> Now that several people have expressed their feeling we are non
> transparent, I would like that they go further than just stating a
> situation, and make suggestions to improve.

Well, let's start with the non-public mailing lists. I'm aware of the leagal
one. What other non-public mailing lists are there (I think Erik mentioned
one with ''all the smartest people'' on it). Where are these list
documented, who are the members, and maybe, to ease some concerns and build
trust, what were the last twently thread topics?

> * exactly on which topic do you feel you are not informed ? Please cite
> some examples of issues where we have been failing ? Was the information
> missing related to legal issues ? To partnership ? To budget ?

This is an amazing statement, how can we ask for information that is seceret
and that we don't know about?

* please cite some examples of how we could inform you. Please not "I
> want to be more informed", but HOW, WHERE, WHEN and under WHICH form.

Well, an open and transparent wiki comes to mind.

On which topics do you think things are missing ?

Again, how can we ask for information that is seceret and that we don't know
about?

Anthere

I 'm suprised at the tone of your reply, Anthere. Longtime editors like
Michael, who've invested hundreds, if not thousands of hours in the project
don't deserve to be snapped at when they politely express concerns over a
lack of openess.