[Foundation-l] Re: Information flow

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 23 01:54:05 UTC 2005

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> What does matter is how the Foundation selects which products and
> features to use on the Foundation's own servers. This is really
> not a development issue, but one of operations. This is where the
> 5-15 seconds response times of 2002-2003 were a real failure, that
> caused real damage to the project, as editors were leaving, or at
> least unable to convince their friends to join the project.  New
> features were taken into use as soon as they were developed, and
> nobody seemed to monitor the performance.  Every enthusiastic
> developer could introduce new bottlenecks.
>
> If Wikipedia had had a board in 2002-2003, it could have appointed
> an "editor satisfaction officer" or a "productivity officer", with
> responsibility to question the editor community what slowed them
> down, and how productivity could be improved.  I believe many
> editors would have put the blame on the slow response times.

In 2003 the problem was lack of hardware. We disabled every
non-essential feature: just about every query page, search, even
watchlists at times. A number of innovative performance features were
developed, which kept our backs off the wall. We would have been better
off at that time with a financing officer than a productivity officer.

-- Tim Starling