[Foundation-l] Re: Information flow

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Aug 23 06:21:56 UTC 2005

Tim Starling wrote:
> In 2003 the problem was lack of hardware.

You were able to solve the problem by adding hardware. Whether
that is a victory or a failure is a matter of opinion.

> We disabled every non-essential feature: just about every query
> page, search, even watchlists at times.

Yes, blindly hacking away, disabling useful functions at random,
instead of analyzing where the bottlenecks were.  It was very
embarrasing to watch.  The growth numbers in 2002-2003 for
susning.nu (which still runs on a single server) show what
software optimization can do, should you have chosen that path.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)