[Foundation-l] Re: An other attempt for Announce-l; central info about wikimedia tech status and info

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Thu Aug 18 10:00:41 UTC 2005

Angela <beesley at ...> writes:

> Is another mailing list actually going to solve this? Are people going
> to accept that there is one place for this information? What about
> those who don't want to be on a mailing list and feel this information
> should be on the wiki? Where are translations going to occur? If the
> list is aimed to be low-traffic, sending dozens of translations every
> time something is posted isn't going to be too popular. If the aim is
> to get information out in a timely way, waiting until a message is
> translated won't really help to meet that requirement. If every
> language has a separate announcements list, it won't help to meet the
> goal of having one central point of information.

You make it to complicated.

I think another mailings list *if* it is used correctly can solve this. An
mailing list is low tech.  Easy to use. If you make it complicated the small
change that it actually will happen is even smaller.

If the people who are always looking at the technical IRC channels and the
other raw sources of information about the state of Wikimedia technical are
willing to send an email to an central point then the others can take it over.
It would be a big thing if the would be willing to do that.

You inform the other mailing lists about this announce list, and so far the
still exist the ambassadors. And then it is for every wiki to see there is an
member of there community to watch that list and relay it to there community
and translate it, put it on whatever place the like on there wiki.

I try to do this for my home-wiki. The other wiki's must take there
responsibility. If you want the info, there is the list for it. If you do not
read it do not complain about it.

> I'm not saying I oppose the idea. I don't, and I think something like
> this is very much needed. I'm just concerned the solution isn't as
> easy as simply creating a new mailing list.
>
> Angela.

It could be a deluxe webbased system with default translated scripts and auto-
posting on many pages on many wiki's by a bot. But a plain mailing list where
wikipedians can get this info and inform there home-wiki about it will do.

Greetings,
Walter