[Foundation-l] Re: An other attempt for Announce-l; central info about wikimedia tech status and info

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 00:48:58 UTC 2005

On 8/18/05, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is another mailing list actually going to solve this? Are people going
> to accept that there is one place for this information? What about
> those who don't want to be on a mailing list and feel this information
> should be on the wiki? Where are translations going to occur? If the
> list is aimed to be low-traffic, sending dozens of translations every
> time something is posted isn't going to be too popular. If the aim is
> to get information out in a timely way, waiting until a message is
> translated won't really help to meet that requirement. If every
> language has a separate announcements list, it won't help to meet the
> goal of having one central point of information.
>
> I'm not saying I oppose the idea. I don't, and I think something like
> this is very much needed. I'm just concerned the solution isn't as
> easy as simply creating a new mailing list.

Oh, I completely agree about not creating another mailing list. The
opt-in idea is anyway never going to solve the problem. About
translations, on this particular subject, I would argue that they are
not needed, no more than we have ever translated the "Sorry we have a
problem". If we can use an existing page, or blog, or accessible place
for that kind of information, I would be more than happy. As I said,
this is all about advertising that place so that people know where to
look.

Best,

Delphine
--