[Engineering] [Wikitech-l] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Physikerwelt wiki at physikerwelt.de
Fri Jan 18 13:25:40 UTC 2019

Hi Thiemo, hi all,

given my strong support for T78768 and the connection to this change,
I would like to express my regrets to the engineers blocked by the
change in Gerrit. As typical for strike actions, it disrupts the usual
business. However, I see the positive effect that people are made
aware of the fact that the code review process needs to be improved.

While I am happy with the code review duration of the patches I submit
today, I had problems to get the (obviously bad) code I wrote in the
beginning reviewed. I guess one of the main reasons for the
improvement is that I know the reviewers in person, today.

However, visiting Hackathons and annoying WMF employees in their
offices is not something that scales. Therefore, the review process
needs to be changed. After years of discussion and only little changes
to the process, this change brings this important but not urgent topic
to the agenda, which I appreciate.

To my experience Thiemo ist one of the most predictable (=good) code
reviewers. I am more than happy that he shared his process in his
email. I think his code reviewing procedure is exemplary and should
act as a general template. Thank you Thiemo.

One last hopefully constructive point. To my experience, the most
annoying experience in waiting for CR is when multiple reviewers are
requested and no feedback is provided. My wish would be that the state
of the patch is visualized in the (Gerrit) UI. So that the submitter
of the patch knows the state of the change and can estimate how long
it might take until the patch proceeds to the next stage.

Happy coding
physikerwelt