[Engineering] Your Participation Requested - Interview about your local development environment

Gergo Tisza gtisza at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 9 19:40:53 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 4:03 PM Jeena Huneidi <jhuneidi at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I did consider sending out another survey, but ended up choosing the
> interview method for this step because I’d like to get a deeper look into
> how people work  and the problems they face, which is difficult to glean
> from surveys.

To be clear I think a primary focus on interviews as a method that gives
deeper insights than other options makes perfect sense (and I really am
glad that they are happening :). I just think it might be nice to have
something to complement them.

I think it’s unlikely we’ll be able to fully capture every local
> development variation. Still, I’d like to be as inclusive as possible and
> enable anyone who wants to respond to do so. I can definitely consult with
> the team on sending out an additional survey tailored to local development.
> Did you have another method in mind?

One option is to just put up a wiki page with some instructions on what
kind of information and insights you are looking for, and then people can
go into whatever level of detail suits them. That requires very little
effort on your side and evaluation can happen collaboratively. (Also it
might be interesting information even apart from this project.) OTOH asking
people to share their answers publicly has its own barriers to inclusion.
The other option would be to do it as a free-form survey, but then you'd be
the only one able to process them, so depending on how many people actually
take the chance to respond, it might not be a realistic workload.