[Engineering] MySQL/MariaDB Query Optimization Tutorial

Jaime Crespo jcrespo at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 5 13:19:09 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I am currently attending the Percona Live Europe Open Source Database
Conference and I just delivered a 3-hour tutorial on Query Optimization
with MySQL 8.0 and MariaDB 10.3, something that I am going to guess many of
you may find useful, be it to optimize new Mediawiki features or just to do
more efficient queries on Wikireplicas; specially because I used Mediawiki
as an application to play with. While they start from 0, we go in depth
into topics like Index Condition Pushdown, DESC indexes and functional

Here are the slides:
https://github.com/jynus/query-optimization (both pdf and Libreoffice
sources)
Here are the sample databases used and the instructions to load them.
https://dbahire.com/pleu18/

Have a great day,
--
Jaime Crespo