[Engineering] Additional European-appropriate MediaWiki train window starting week of July 9th (also SWAT change)

Marko Obrovac mobrovac at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 11 07:05:29 UTC 2018

On 11 July 2018 at 00:47, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Great question! (Unfortunately) for simplicity we will keep the windows
> pinned to SF/Pacific timezone. Some windows moving and others not would
> create too much confusion; even more than the normal daylight savings
> changes already do.

It seems to me that it will be confusing only to non-US people, honestly,
which are the ones benefiting from this change. When DST changes are
applied, and because they are not applied at the same across the globe,
people will see their SWAT times change for no apparent reason. At the same
time, there is plenty of hours of difference between the last deploy window
mentioned in your email and the first SF-centric deployment window to
account for the periods when DST settings vary.

I believe that pinning them to UTC would actually eliminate the confusion.

My 2 cents,
Marko

Marko Obrovac, PhD
Senior Services Engineer