[Engineering] GitHub mention spam

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 1 18:02:28 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 8:34 AM, Chad Horohoe <chorohoe at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> AIUI, upstream's moderators are already on top of this. I think Bryan
> Davis found some links to dealing with it.

Blocking tools do exist on github, but they are user account oriented
and this particular griefer is taking advantage of a new account for
each attack. The relevant github links are:
* https://help.github.com/articles/blocking-a-user-from-your-personal-account/
* https://help.github.com/articles/blocking-a-user-from-your-organization/
* https://help.github.com/articles/reporting-abuse-or-spam/

Thus far the upstream mods have gotten to blocking and deleting the
spam before I have clicked the links needed to report any of the
accounts. They do have a small notification bug that will leave
dangling pointers on your <https://github.com/notifications> screen.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA