[Engineering] GitHub mention spam

Chad Horohoe chorohoe at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 1 15:34:31 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 7:29 PM Matthew Flaschen <mflaschen at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Is there a thread or task to solve the GitHub mention spam problem?

Nope, not that I know of. But the jerk doing this on Github is the
same one doing Phab (see ops@ thread)

> realize individual cases can be solved pretty easily, but it is a
> recurring problem this week with WMF usernames.
>
> Surprisingly, I can't find docs on this form of abuse, or ways to
> solve/mitigate it (e.g. only allowing mentions on repos you're involved
> in).

AIUI, upstream's moderators are already on top of this. I think Bryan
Davis found some links to dealing with it.

Disabling issue filing for repos we don't develop on Github (they
should all be disabled in that scenario, but if they aren't, let's) can
certainly help limit the locations to annoy us from.

Turning off e-mail notifs is also a viable workaround for now.

-Chad