[Engineering] How we count uniques

Madhumitha Viswanathan mviswanathan at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 31 19:15:32 UTC 2016

Thanks Ori, Anna and Chris :)

Since the blog specifically called out not making our users log in, and so
> not being able to count "users", are we looking how many logged in users
> access our sites each month (whether they make an edit or not), and average
> number of devices per user account?

The webrequest logs are unaware of whether or not users are logged in. So I
don't think we can get that number from any of the analytics data - as far
as I know. As far as average number of devices per user account - Since we
don't really track who the user is in our logs, and only have ips, user
agents, and access-methods - I assume we could draw rough estimates but
they would be highly inaccurate.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Chris Steipp <csteipp at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Kudos to the Analytics and Research team for doing that!
>
> Since the blog specifically called out not making our users log in, and so
> not being able to count "users", are we looking how many logged in users
> access our sites each month (whether they make an edit or not), and average
> number of devices per user account?
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 8:21 AM, Anna Stillwell <astillwell at wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Very cool. Novel solutions that work well and are in line with our values
>> are cool.
>>
>> Congratulations to everyone involved.
>>
>> /a
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Ori Livneh <ori at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Madhu, Nuria, and Aaron from the Analytics and Research teams have
>>> written a blog post on how we are able to measure the reach of the projects
>>> without tracking users. The technique we use is novel, as far as I know,
>>> and it has already allowed us to quantify and understand the shift from
>>> desktop to mobile better than we could before. So I want to congratulate
>>> the three authors and the rest of the analytics team, as well as encourage
>>> you to read the post, since it makes for very interesting reading. :)
>>>
>>> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/03/30/unique-devices-dataset/

>> --
>> Anna Stillwell
>> Director of Culture and Collaboration