[Commons-l] Anglo-Saxonisation of the commons

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 21:45:38 UTC 2006

On 29/12/06, jkelly at fas.harvard.edu <jkelly at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

>   There's no reason why we shouldn't have a gallery at both [[Munich, Germany]]
> and [[München, Deutschland]].  If people aren't interested in maintaining both,
> then I suppose we could get really worked up about which one is the redirect and
> which one is the actual gallery, but it is a pretty trivial thing to argue over.

Commons is multilingual, so a redirect to the local language and text
in all redirected languages would make the most obvious sense.

(and then we can argue about countries with two national languages, of
course - [[Brabant]] or [[Bruxelles]]? I think the *essential* point
is that people can find images and media!)

>  Categories are different, and should use English, with the goal of eventually
> translating based on user preferences.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm ... I believe category redirects work in current versions
of MediaWiki, though they're less than ideal. Hopefully categories
will morph into tags soon (if MySQL's hideous performance difficulties
can be worked around) and we can do things like tags-with-aliases (so
that [[Tag:Brabant]] and [[Tag:Bruxelles]] work like they're one tag).

- d.