[Commons-l] Commons SumItUp

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 13:35:47 UTC 2006

On 18/08/06, Magnus Manske <magnus.manske at web.de> wrote:
> I was wondering - why not link to this tool in the instructions text for
> new articles?

What instruction text for new articles, exactly? You're welcome to add
it yourself, as is anyone.

 Or do you mean the "this page doesn't exist. click here to create it"
type text?

As this is exactly
> what commons articles/categories *should* contain, it might be a huge help.

Well, I have encountered some opposition to the idea that an article
with six pictures should have 30 different language introductions. :)

For proper nouns (people & places, mostly), I tend to feel only
different scripts are necessary. eg for the Australian city
'Melbourne', there would be at least 40 different articles on it, but
28 of those articles are at exactly "Melbourne". Although if we ever
want to supply better quality lang support, it would be best to supply
all. Hm. Perhaps better 'hiding' would be better, less annoying at
least...

cheers
Brianna