[Commons-l] Commons SumItUp

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Fri Aug 18 13:07:22 UTC 2006

I've worked some more on my SumIrUp tool [1], which can generate a list
of language templates with one-line descriptions for a new article. All
it needs is a starting point, namely this article in any language. From
there, it will spider all the language links, and gather the initial
paragraph/sentence of each article. It then generates a
copy-and-paste-ready text, including language links.

I was wondering - why not link to this tool in the instructions text for
new articles? There could be a link to this tool using the name of the
page to be created, and en.wikipedia as default. If an article with that
name exists on en.wikipedia, it will generate said list of one-line
descriptions which can be copied into that article. As this is exactly
what commons articles/categories *should* contain, it might be a huge help.

Magnus

[1] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/commons_sumitup.php