[Commons-l] FlickrLickr: the first 10,000 images

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Sep 27 16:57:37 UTC 2005

A total of 14,000 CC-BY-licensed photos on Flickr has now been reviewed
using the collaborative process described at:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:FlickrLickr

A total of 1,284 photos has been uploaded to the Commons so far, i.e.,
less than 10% of the reviewed photos on Flickr have been deemed useful.
I have collected some of my personal favorites on

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:FlickrLickr/Highlights

We're splitting the ~500,000 CC-BY images into slices of 1,000 each,
which are reviewed one by one by different people. The reviewers so far:

	- Andre Engels: 5 slices
	- Angela: 1 slice
	- Benjamin Esham: 1 slice
	- myself: 7 slices

We need more FlickrLickr reviewers! Just email me to get an account for

http://epov.org/cgi-bin/flickrlickr.pl

and I'll set you up. It's very easy: All you need to do is select the
images you want, and edit the descriptions and categories.

The decision what photos to keep is often very subjective, of course. I
think the best approach is to take into account
- uniqueness
- usefulness for Wikimedia
- technical quality.

If a photo shows a very common object, animal, place or process, then it
should probably only be picked if it is of very high quality. If it
shows  something more unusual, the first question is whether it is at
least theoretically identifiable, and potentially useful for one of our
projects. Technical quality isn't quite as important for these.

We also need to be careful not to let mood affect our judgment. For
example, if you're very hungry, you might select hundreds of photos of
food ;-). So far I'm acting as a final reviewer on all slices, but I'd
like to delegate that role to someone else at some point.

Again, if you're interested, please email me and I'll give you a slice
to look over. It can be very addictive.

Best,

Erik