[Advocacy Advisors] Fwd: CISPA is back... again

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 20:51:03 UTC 2015

Via: http://tumblr.fightforthefuture.org/post/124759594053/cispa-is-back-again-so-were-building-a

Pressing news: U.S. Congress is rushing toward a vote on CISA
(formerly called CISPA), the worst spying bill yet.[1]

CISA would give giant Internet companies like Google and Facebook
total legal immunity to do almost anything they want with our data.
Why? So that the government can pressure these companies to share even
more of our personal information with spy agencies like the NSA.[2]

Congress has tried this before. Four times! Every time we’ve managed
to defeat CISA-like legislation at the last minute. This time, though,
the prospects are looking grim.

Defense contractors and big banks are pouring money into lobbying and
using recent news like the OPM hacks to spread fear and
misinformation. Worse, President Obama is signaling that he’ll sign
CISA if it ends up on his desk, even though security experts say it
will do nothing to prevent cyber attacks.[3]

[1] http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/247921-senate-gop-whip-eyes-early-august-for-cyber-bill
[2] Learn more at https://www.cispaisback.org
[3] https://www.newamerica.org/oti/coalition-letter-from-55-civil-society-groups-security-experts-and-academics-opposing-cisa/