[Advocacy Advisors] Wikipedia Zero specifically excepted from ban of zero-rating services in Chile

Jens Best jens.best at wikimedia.de
Mon Sep 22 21:38:33 UTC 2014

1. In a time where net neutrality is under massive attack, “do it like
Chile“ isn't what really helps to sustain a clear and important principle.
It is basically still undermining net neutrality in a fundamental way by
implementing different standards to different data at the level of the
general user experience.

It is still a marketing trick to lure new paying users to the mobile
providers, because every source link out of Wikipedia Zero needs payment.

2. “globally shared meta concept", well, Lila made a good point by pointing
out that the question/the understanding of a public sphere in the web isn't
really good developed. This could be the chance to develop a concept and a
campaign which would allow to stop the damaging Wikipedia Zero project and
start/support action to implement a public sphere which could include
Wikipedia.
That could be a way to bring free knowledge to more people without damaging
important rules of a free and open web.

Jens