[Advocacy Advisors] Wikipedia Zero specifically excepted from ban of zero-rating services in Chile

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 21:22:30 UTC 2014

> Well,
>
> one special exception in one country doesn't put away the fact that
> Wikipedia Zero is damaging the struggle to keep net neutrality an basic
> principle around the world.

My understanding was that the possibility of having
Wikipedia Zero treated as a special exception of Net Neutrality laws
was considered unrealistic. My understanding is also that Chile has a
strong net neutrality law in place.

Trying to replicate this situation in other countries would still put
the movement
in a position of "opposing net neutrality"? In principle we could
advocate all over the world to "do like Chile".

> Wikipedia Zero is undermining globally the activities of NGOs, activists and
> other entities against commercial and some governmental interests which
> would like to weaken/destroy net neutrality.
>
> Wikipedia Zero is an argument against net neutrality in the hands of its
> enemies. With Wikipedia Zero the foundation is endangering its position in
> the digital civil rights movement as seen at the IGF in Istanbul recently.

{{inline}}

> Without any globally shared meta concept Wikipedia Zero stays to be a welcomed marketing trick for mobile providers.

A "globally shared meta concept" of ... what?