[Advocacy Advisors] Responding to government requests

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Sat Feb 15 03:30:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM, James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> > we've got a lot of growing to do as an organization ...
> > becoming more sophisticated in how ... we ...
> > respond to government requests
>
> Is there any downside to responding as if the Forth
> Amendment is constitutional

I meant, in context, requests like the one we were discussing - for
feedback on copyright reform and other statutory/policy change. As the
privacy policy says, government requests for personal information (i.e.,
requests where the 4th amendment is relevant) we contest vigorously, and
we're fairly sophisticated/experienced in that area.

Luis

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*