[Advocacy Advisors] Can we help journalists?

Jeremy Baron jeremy at tuxmachine.com
Wed Aug 28 01:47:37 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Aug 27, 2013 8:02 PM, "James Salsman" <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> During the SOPA blackout, National Public Radio offered a free back-up
> service on Twitter for people who needed research questions answered.
> I'm not sure what their success rate was compared to Wikipedia's
> Reference Desks, but can we return the favor? Journalism is actually
> under direct assault by the government now:

http://fair.org/take-action/media-advisories/the-accelerating-assault-on-journalism/

Is there a specific action you have in mind?

> What actions can the Foundation take to protect those of our readers
> and editors who are or act as journalists?

What actions would you propose?

> What is the status of my request to ask the Foundation's cloud
> providers to produce peer-to-peer versions of their applications
> capable of end-to-end encryption?

[maybe this was answered earlier but I think I did see you ask before with
about the same specificity as here]

I would appreciate it if you were more precise when referring to the use of
cloud providers. Please give examples of particular services / vendors
you're concerned with. Also, define p2p. (is there an example of a
particular service that should add p2p support?)

Do you mean services used
* only by foundation employees?
* to monitor the sites?
* as a critical part of the site's infrastructure?
* as mirrors of foundation hosted services?
* some other way?

(some services may have multiple uses. e.g. github is both a mirror and a
canonical store depending on the repo in question)

-Jeremy