[Advocacy Advisors] Can we help journalists?

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 00:01:56 UTC 2013

Luis,

During the SOPA blackout, National Public Radio offered a free back-up
service on Twitter for people who needed research questions answered.
I'm not sure what their success rate was compared to Wikipedia's
Reference Desks, but can we return the favor? Journalism is actually
under direct assault by the government now:

http://fair.org/take-action/media-advisories/the-accelerating-assault-on-journalism/

Do you still think it is reasonable to conflate protecting readers and
editors with frustrating intelligence agencies? Wouldn't actions to
cause them to come in to compliance with the Bill of Rights make them
less frustrated over time, even if it temporarily makes them more
frustrated?

What is the status of my request to ask the Foundation's cloud
providers to produce peer-to-peer versions of their applications
capable of end-to-end encryption?

What actions have been taken to institute policies in response to
receipt of government orders by the Foundatiopn to make sure that they
are in compliance with superior law before being acted on?

What actions can the Foundation take to protect those of our readers
and editors who are or act as journalists?

Sincerely,
James Salsman