[Advocacy Advisors] EU to tackle copyright reform

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 08:48:47 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Yesterday the commission published the long expected press release
(attached) announcing the launch of stakeholder dialogue to reform
copyright legislation.

The plan is to have discussions and positions reviewed and exchanged in
2013 and adopt new legislation in 2014. There will be three commissioners
working jointly on this project:

Michel Barnier (Internal Market)
Neelie Kroes (Digital)
Androulla Vassiliou (Culture)

I am today invited to a discussion with Michael Barnier and some MEPs from
the European People's Party (I am currently training in interest
representation in Brussels, but I am also a member of Wikimedia Austria
since I studied in Vienna). I will try to keep an eye on everything that is
going on in Brussels regarding these reform plans as I believe we
(Wikimedia) should be part of the dialogue. I am also proposing to WMAT to
register in the EU Transparency Register so we can get easier access to
first hand information and invitation to join discussions and meet with
decision makers. WMDE and WMI are already registered, but have nobody in
Brussels.

A report on today's discussion to come. A more interesting year to follow.

Regards,

Dimi