[Wiktionary-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Export Dictionary?

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed May 18 00:44:36 UTC 2005

> ... In your mail you want
> to export the wiktionary data. The consequence is that when you choose
> for export, you will have to do this continually as we hope to increase
> the content of Ultimate Wiktionary dramatically.

--- i agree, i personally and on the road alot and only have access to
dial-up, a 'local copy' so i could search without getting online would
be great, i know that there would be a drift in the content online and
the local content, but that is acceptable for the ability to search
offline. It was just a thought, i realise the implications on
bandwidth, etc, but it is something to consider.

> As far as I understand
> the RFC, there is a need for responding to a request and providing a
> reply in a set format. There is no need to have a database in a specific
> format as long as the respons provided conforms to the RFC.

--- Yes, i was just asking about the database to see if the structure
was inplace to make an easy transition from RDB entry to a .dict
response. I think you answered it as basically, no, since each page is
formatted independantly, and Yes, since the new Ultimate Wiktionary
will have a defined structure.

> As the Ultimate Wiktionary is being designed at the moment and as
> Wikidata is being built, this is a time to consider what is needed to
> provide .dict functionality. This functionality will be included when
> someone does the programming or when someone finds the funds to strap
> the .dict functionality on top of Ultimate Wiktionary.

--- i would be willing to help and donate time to work on .dict
functionality, when things get to that point in the Ultimate
Wiktionary development please keep me in mind.

> One problem I see with exporting content from Wiktionary is the GNU-FDL
> requirement to maintain the history of the contributors. For the UW, I
> think it can be solved by adding the history information on the talk
> page. The necessity for UW stems from the likelyhood that many
> wiktionaries, if not all, may merge into the Ultimate Wiktionary and be
> abandoned.

--- i agree, you don't want multiple forks of definitions floating
around, i only suggested the export for offline reference, not for
importing somewhere else and continuing from there.

-brian

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk