[Wiktionary-l] The Japanese Wiktionary have been locked temporarily

eG egoat_wk at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Feb 17 00:37:14 UTC 2005

Dear Wiktionary community,

The Japanese Wiktionary have been locked until we'd establish the basic
policies. In brief, the matter was lack of motivated and dedicated
contributors there. That's shame but true. Here I report the reason and
background in detail.

This project has 2,000 articles and seems to be not so inactive.
However, many of members think the current state is terrible. Many of
articles have been edited by sock-puppets and vandal(s) who seems to be
banned from Wikipedia. Most of basic policies remain untouched. We had
tried to do something several times, those were failed. One of major
reasons of the failure was copyright issues under Japanese law, I
suppose. There are three admins but now they are inactive and two of
them have expressed their will to resign, moreover, no one requested for
adminship. Thus, the Wiktionary became bleak. It also might threaten
novel contributors.

I'm afraid vandals and non-cooperative people waste the project if we
would leave actual status. There are less motivated people than
non-preferables. So I proposed the temporal closure on the Village pump.
The suggestion and discussion were absolutely open. I announced it
clearly on the Main page and head of Recentchanges. All of visited
people must be noticed. After a week, as you know, the result was 8
supports and 1 objection. Now the oppose seems to accept this suggestion
because s/he did not express opposing argument when I ascertained the
request and s/he seems to be cooperative to solve the issues. After the
counting, we got 4 new supports, including 1 sysop. Most of us think we
have to have such policies before editing and stop to edit now. To
establish those policies would be an effortful work and take long time.

This is the reason and background.

I hope my next post would be a report of re-open of the Japanese Wiktionary.

Sincerely,

   eG [[m:User:Electric goat]]