[Wiktionary-l] Case - Sensitivity for Wiktionaries

Ronny Raschkowan wiki at kopfrechnung.de
Sat May 29 13:56:52 UTC 2004

Hello.

On the german Wiktionary, we have discussed about the case sensitivity
for our Wiktionary and the purpose was voted pro.

I asked TimStarling if it would be possible to convert then the de:
Wiktionary to case-sensitivity, that means to  turn the automatic
capitalisation off. He said, he wouldn't do that for only one
Wiktionary, but for all at a time.

So I went here to ask you, what you would think about an case
sensitivity for _all_ Wiktionaries. Sure, there would be a huge of
broken links, but as the Wikis are still little and only have a few
articles, it is not a big problem to repair this. Except the en:
Wiktionary, of course, as a special case, who would need long to be
converted/ to  repair the broken links.

Why all this: Most of latin languages have most words with lowercase
letters (ex.: german, french, english, ....). In the Wikipedia, it is
not a big problem to have only uppercase letters. But in a dictionary,
it's very important to have and to see a / the difference between upper-
and lowercase words.

What do you think about that idea? Should it be voted on all the local
Wiktionaries or only discussed here? Which shouldn't be converted?

Sincerly yours,
Ronny Raschkowan
[[u:Fire]]