[Wiktionary-l] Joining Wiktionary-l and some thoughs

Robert Michel news at RobertMichel.de
Tue Feb 17 16:53:14 UTC 2004

Salve Wiktionary-people,

it`s great to have an own mailinglist. I what you to know that I like to join
and share some ideas for wikitionary soon. I came to wikipedia to find an
explaination for words that I haven`t found with ispell... more about this
visit (still only in German): http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Benutzer:RobertMichel

At the moment I try to get a 25.000 word-list (catchwords) from a geology
bibliothek for a use with GNU-FDL. Beside of wikitonary, I have at he moment
a disput on the German Wikipedia Mailinglist - about a better reserch of
catchwords and an algorithmen how to give names to articels with less as
posible subjectivity. *g*

Because of making my mind about more systematic I tried to scan (manualy) all
wetterforcast region of an german wetterreport:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wettervorhersage_(deutsche_Vorhersagegebiete)
Theses regions are not realy a good example for translations, but it should be
an example to scan the text of national radiostation for words of one field.
With such kontext is it more easy to translate and more usefull for learning
vocabulary. The sum of all fields could build the wiktionary, and one link of
rain could show a list of meterologic words (rain, snow, storm...)

I think the software should support the research of the words and the wictors
(viktors (what is the name for wikitonary people ?)) should work as
systematic as posible and build wordlists for seperate sujects bevore to link
them to another language. To build software for Wikitonary is definitive more
dificult than for the wikipedia, and beside of software-tools giving
software-skills to the wictors should have the same priority.

So with "quick and dirty" we won`t have succsess, and we should take time for
think about
- how to get lists of words (scaning ebooks,news, catchwords form bibliotheks)
- how to split these list in fields
- how to work with them
When we find all ways how to find words systematicaly, for every way we should
creat a dummy wordlist to know how to handel these.

Back to the 25.000, I want to add statisticaly informations to these words,
how many books, news, articals, dissertation, webpages, newsgroups-posting
this words are used.

Greetings from Aachen,
rob

PS: I study civil ingeneering ;)