[Wiktionary-l] [en] A Modest Proposal for Pretend Words

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Dec 3 10:37:24 UTC 2004

Ian Monroe wrote:
> Proposal:
> I propose we change policy on en.Wiktionary user-created words
> (so-called "protologisms") to exclude them entirely.
>
> (Hereafter, when I say Wiktionary, I mean the English one).

I would recommend that this be adopted as a blanket policy for all of
wiktionary.  The specific means of judging which words are "pretend"
will likely vary by language, of course, but the general principle is
universal.

I would be interested to hear any counter-arguments, but I doubt very
much if there are any.  Made up words, original words, are quite
beside the point of a dictionary.

There will be some tough judgment calls about neologisms, and I'm not
sure exactly how these should be decided.  A "google test" is no good,
although it can be a clever tool for a first check.

--Jimbo