[Wikitech-l] Re: Phase IV layout engine based on a new CMS

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Mon Jul 21 18:32:57 UTC 2003

Rotem Dan wrote:
> I am starting to work on designing (and creating) a completely new,
> professional layout engine for all wikimedia websites that should be
> launched with phase IV of the software.
>
> First, from what I understand, the main idea for phase IV is that all
> wikipedias sit on a single software installation (and that's great!), I
> will add: (Just to give the general direction to tease you up)

I'm totally confused now. Phase IV? I thought we're going to stick with
the current PHP code and only improve it over time. When I suggested to
write a Phase-IV software to take care of problems such as single-login
and better integration, everyone objected and told me it wasn't worth it.

So, what exactly is going on? What are the plans?

Thanks,
Timwi