[Wikisource-l] Fwd: Literate Programs wiki

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 15:19:24 UTC 2006

On 6/19/06, Ryan Dabler <zhaladshar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would agree to that, and would support such a proposal.  It would finally
> end the problems that all Wikimedia projects have faced or will face at some
> point or another regarding source code, but, more importantly, it would give
> WMF an outlet for an open source code wiki.  It seems as if Literate
> Programs' mission is reasonably similar to ours--only a little tweaking in
> the mission statements and a complete overhaul of the copyright licensing
> would be needed to make this a suitable candidate for a WMF project.

I'm not sure a complete overhaul of the licensing would be necessary.
Without getting into a copyleft vs. BSD style argument, the MIT/X11
license chosen is at least one specific for source code -- whereas the
GFDL is not. Furthermore, Wikimedia has in the past demonstrated some
flexibility in choosing the licensing model most appropriate for our
content. Wikinews is CC-BY (no copyleft) in part because we want our
content to be maximally reused, and the potential for copyleft to kick
in on news content that expires quickly is relatively small.

Deco (the founder of the wiki) seems to be happy for it to be
independent for now, but it's certainly something to keep in mind, I
think.

Erik