[Wikipedia-l] [[WP:100K]] - who here writes well in English and another language?

Raphael Wiegand rdb_wikipedia at gmx.de
Thu Sep 21 16:04:41 UTC 2006

I don't like to do so, but obviously I am the first one to interrupt
you, lessen your enthusiasm and get kind of realistic.

Yes, of course it's important to improve quality, espacially now when
en: has reached an unbelievable high number of articles, but I don't
think you'll reach 100k of FAs without easing the requirements for an
article to be featured, even if you go for it for three years. Let's
explain:

English WP has now exactly 1118 featured articles on 1,395,220 total
articles which means that there is 0.0008 FA on one "normal" article
(=NA), or, better, 8 FA on 10,000 NA. On de, we have 869 FAs on 469,065
total, what is somerwhere around 0,19% or 1,8 FA on 1,000 NA. If we take
an average of these numbers (which is not realistic, I know), we'll have
0,135% of FA compared with total articles on en and de. Taking together
the 16 biggest wps (according to
[[en:Wikipedia:Multilingual_statistics]]) there would be about 4 million
total articles. If you take our FA-average of 0,135% FA on total article
number, there are at the moment 5,400 (!!) FA _in total_ on _all_
Wikipedias, including those 1118 already existing on en. This means you
would have to write about 96,000 FAs during only 365 days - that's
impossible, imagine how long it took you to get just these 1118... [1]

So far on numbers, you see, that's kinda irrealistic to set such a goal,
because of the huge amount of articles needed to be created from the
beginning. And that's not the only argument: As already said, for
non-native speakers, it takes lots of more time to write an really
excellent article in a foreign language so they probably would thing
"what the hell to to with en.wp, I'll better invest my time on improving
articles on my "home"-wp, that'll be more efficient, it's less
depressing, it's easier for me" - I think (also because I know what I
can do and what I can't) you'll not get real support from other language
wps except of people who are used to write on en: only.

Third, I think that - as on de: - probably many of the really active
users who write FAs have other jobs like vandalfighting which have do be
done also. People who are capable of writing a really good wp article
have to be familiar with regulations, with the community, they have to
be used to write long articles - especially the first two
characteristics qualify an user for adminship (I doubt that this is
completely different on de: and en:...). One cannot take the risk of a
completely destroyed (yes!) Wikipedia just to have another FA, so admins
can't give all their time on the FA project, and the many RC patrollers
either.

Well, to get to an end: I think, this big aim number is too big. It's
just depressing and nothing else to work on the 5,000th FA in july and
there is just another 6 months to complete further 95,000 articles. If a
smaller number like, probably, 10,000 or even just 5,000 was set, it
would be easier to reach and a better motivation for all writers.

Nevertheless, if [[Wikipedia:Featured Articles]] shows a number higher
than 50,000 on this time in 2007, I'd oblige me to write at least 50 FAs
for en: until december '08 ;)

rdb

[1] To get some more numbers: To create 96,000 FA in 365 days means 263
FA per day. 50 hours per FA - 13,150 hours of work per day. A day has 24
hours - you'd need about 550 editors per day working on FA. But - don't
forget - they'd have to work 24/7 per one year ;)