[Wikipedia-l] Hi, Jimmy Wales, please estabish the board of inspectors to investigate admins.

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 20:55:34 UTC 2006

Exactly -- the very root of the argument was to respond to the
argument rather than  the person.

The only time this does not apply is when the other person makes their
"person" part of the argument, for example by saying "I am more
credible in this area because I am Italian" or "You are not as
credible as I am because you are not German". But in these cases ad
hominem is still not really to be used beyond a very limited extent,
that is for example to ask 1) Why it is relevant whether or not you
are German, Italian or, say, Romanian; 2) Why it is expected that an
Italian or a Spaniard by sheer nationality will know more about a
topic than an Albanian or Korean; 3) Whether or not it makes sense to
say that a certain nationality is more directly concerned with a topic
than others.

Mark

On 13/09/06, theProject <wp.theproject at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/06, Jacky PB <dpotop1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Respond to the ARGUMENT, not the PERSON. National
> > > origin is not
> > > relevant, despite what racists such as you will say.
> >
> > Nice speech, but have *you* not said of many others
> > that their oppinion is not relevant because of *their*
> > ethnic origin?
> >
> > Yeah, fight against racism is a good propaganda
> > argument as long as you use it, and not the other.
> > Cool!
> >
> > Dpotop

> The fact that node ue is making this argument changes nothing. I could make
> the same argument and I would hope nobody would call me a racist.
>
> --
> theProject

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.