[Wikipedia-l] Cantonese WP: Report

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 19:38:55 UTC 2006

Already, even though it has only existed for a day, the Cantonese
Wikipedia has been full of activity.

Take the main talk page as an example:

http://zh-yue.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page

Already, there are active discussions on:

1) User interface translation
2) Name of the encyclopaedia (Should it be same asthe Mandarin, which
is pronounced in Cantonese as "wai gei", or should it be a more
phonetic Cantonese, like "wik gei"?)
3) Promotion of cantonese wp
4) "Standard Characters" (Hoeng Gong Zi)
5) Subdomain (some people think it's unfair to use zh-yue, and that
just yue should be used instead or such)
6) Getting an admin and making a logo
7) Should it be "Cantonese Wikipedia" or "Yue Wikipedia"
8) Name of main page
9) Allmessages, namespace translation

With such activity in such little time I have no doubt we can expect
phenomenal growth from this new Wikipedia.

Mark

--
"Take away their language, destroy their souls." -- Joseph Stalin