[Wikipedia-l] exicornt switch

- Essjay - essjaywiki at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 21:50:12 UTC 2006

So many things to say on this:

1) AOL has been contacted before, by Wikimedia, by the developers, by AOL
users, and the response has always been that they simply don't care. AOL
causes a great deal of problem on en.wikipedia, so getting AOL to cooperate
has been tried quite a bit.

2) Bug 550 deals with the issue of allowing users who have accounts to edit
even if thier IP is blocked. The solution for it is quite simple; it's
actually three lines of code that can be written by anyone with minor PHP
skill. It requires the following:

a) that the patch be enabled;
b) that account creation from blocked IPs be disabled (to prevent the
vandals from simply creating an account to sidestep the IP block) which to
my knowledge is already enabled
c) throttling account creation from IPs to x per day, currently 10 per day.
This allows legit people to create accounts, but prevents vandals from
creating 1000 sleeper accounts to use once the IP is blocked.

The devs are aware of the fix, and are not willing to enable it. The exact
quote was that doing so is a  "very very bad idea." It is thier opinion that
it will be of no use, that the vandals will just create sleeper accounts and
evade the blocks. I don't agree, but I'm not a developer either; I defer to
thier expertise in the matter.

In short, if the only way for AOL to be unblocked is for AOL to cooperate,
then AOL will be blocked until hell freezes over, because they've never
shown any interest in doing so. Anyone on AOL will be blocked, whether they
are logged in or not, and there is no expectation that a change will be
forthcoming. I doubt anything short of a Board-level order to implement a
fix to 550 would solve the problem.

Essjay