[Wikipedia-l] To Gerard re: Moldovan wiki

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Sun Mar 19 16:24:00 UTC 2006

Wikipedia Romania (Ronline) wrote:

> Yes, maybe. The dispute, however, the way I see it at least, is not over the
> content per se, but rather the situation it's placed in, that is:
>
> 1) That the language is called "Moldovan" (I believe, however, calling it
> Romanian and writing with Cyrillic would be even more controversial,
> Romanian nationalists claim otherwise)
>
> 2) That Cyrillic is hosted on the main mo.wiki subdomain, and no Latin
> content is hosted on this subdomain (Latin is the official, majority
> script). Note that Latin is, however, listed first in the interface.
>
> The problem has also, I believe, been augmented by a series of Mark's
> actions, although I believe they were in good faith (i.e. the interface was
> changed just so that it uses different terms to the Romanian Wikipedia, and
> many of the words don't make sense even to Moldovans).
>
> Which is why I think a good compromise would be the subdomain solution.
> However, it seems that it was agreed that the existing mo.wiki would be
> locked down.

What we need now are some transliteration rules for Latin <--> Cyrillic
for mo:, and the last excuse for not shutting down mo: prior to making
it a joint Latin/Cyrillic portal to the ro: data in the Latin alphabet
should disappear.

Just to set the ball rolling, with the benefit of _absolutely no_
knowledge of Romanian _or_ Moldovan Cyrillic orthography, but with a bit
of Googling, I've produced a very simple first hack at a transliteration
table (see below).

Now, these rules are undoubtedly totally wrong, (for a start, there are
round trip problems, and my references are inconsistent with one
another) but I'm sure that, in the spirit of Wikipedia, the readers of
this thread can do much better than me, given a few moments. Perhaps we
should put it up on the Wiki, and let people edit it there.

Reading the list archives, I see that [[User:Bogdan Giusca]] has done
some work on this, but he hasn't published his PHP script.

-- Neil

----------------------------

The table:

Note: '^' means "start of word", and "$" end of word, and the rules are
intended to be applied from top to bottom to reduce ambiguity.

гю <-> ghiu
кю <-> chiu
ге <-> ghe
ги <-> ghi