[Wikipedia-l] academic inquiry msg

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 12:35:40 UTC 2006

2006/3/19, Vedant Lath <vedantlathetc at gmail.com>:

> The IP address of the sender
> (219.79.22.41<http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=219.79.22.41>)
> is from Hong Kong, and AFAIK, China blocks wikimedia projects.

Mainland China and Hong Kong are acting mostly independently in that
respect, so I think it would not be blocked in Hong Kong

> So, how can a
> person from Hong Kong possibly access wikipedia extensively so as to analyse
> the contributions and nature of wikipedia?

See above; interestingly, on another university in Hong Kong (the
University of Hong Kong) there is also research into Wikipedia, led by
Andrew Lih ([[w:en:User:Fuzheado]]).

> and moreover, he says that he is
> sending it to only 100 wikipedians. This can make the result very different
> from the actual fact.

There will always be large differences, because people who answer an
enquiry like this are not a random sample from the total population of
people having been asked.

> should i participate in the enquiry?

That should be your free choice, in my opinion.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels