[Wikipedia-l] Europanto

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 06:25:40 UTC 2006

Just take random words from different European languages. Most
Europanto texts seem to be a sort of Belgian mixed language of mostly
French, Dutch, and German, with a fair bit of English and Spanish
thrown in for good measure.

I'm sure there are some common threads -- for example, perhaps people
use "huis" more than "house", or perhaps the most common definite
article is "le". Beyond some very weak trends, I would suspect that
all of the stronger trends vary from person to person -- I, for
example, tend to use more English although I make a conscious effort
to replace English words I've already written with words in other
languages. Other people, however, tend not to take such care and end
up using Europanto "dialects" which are clearly influenced more by
their native language.

Mark