[Wikipedia-l] Hobby wikipedia policy

Filip Maljkovic dungodung at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 21:43:07 UTC 2006

Exactly! The situation is not really same as with Serbian Wikipedia. In
the SR case, Cyrillic and Latin scripts are both equal and are both
considered standard scripts. Therefore, an automatic transliterator
makes sense. However, in RO/MO case, only a small percentage of
speakers, let alone Wikipedians, use Cyrillics. It would make no sense
for RO to have both scripts if one of them is virtually never going to
be used. But, that can be avoided. SR Wikipedia now has the engine and 4
extra tabs for 4 written standards of the Serbian language and users can
always see those tabs. However, if coded properly, one could make such
an extension where the extra tab (for Cyrillic script) could be seen
only if a user wanted it to be seen (which would basically require
checking a box in user preferences). That way, Romanian users wouldn't
have to know that the transliteration tool even existed, AND Moldavian
speakers could turn the feature on if they wanted.

Filip