[Wikipedia-l] Hobby wikipedia policy

Jacky PB dpotop1 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 12 13:10:41 UTC 2006

Hello,

I feel that I need a clarification on wikipedia policies related to hobby wikipedias.

Consider the case of the Moldovan language. The Moldovan wikipedia has been created and administered by Mark Williamson, which does not speak the language correctly. He copied (and replaced the latin script with cyrillic) a lot articles from ro.wiki, just to create what looks like a viable wikipedia. I presume exotic languages are a hobby for him, I have no problem with this. Even originality is not a problem, given that the purpose of wiki is to inform.

However, the Moldovan language is not extinct, so the oppinion of native speakers should count. The problem being that no Moldovan-speaking wikipedia user supports Mark Williamson. And when I say no user, I really mean that there is none. Actually, most Moldovan users dislike the existence of this wiki, because the Moldovan language is actually a creation of the Soviet authorities. To support this affirmation, note that there is no registered Moldovan user on en.wiki, meta.wiki, and not even mo.wiki. :)

So, given that this hobby wikipedia actually hurts the very people it was intended  to help, is it normal that it remains online? I remind you once more that no actual Moldovan supports it. By Moldovan speaker I mean a person able to
write Moldovan correctly.

I mean, if wikipedia policy is to grant users hobby wikipedias, Mark should get his, but maybe not using the official ISO code.

Yours,
Dpotop

PS: I am sorry for bugging you with this, but some things discussed here must be clearly said.