[Wikipedia-l] Moldovan Wikipedia

Wikipedia Romania (Ronline) rowikipedia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 09:14:36 UTC 2006

I'm sorry to say this, but I think that any form of Latin --> Cyrillic
conversion would be most unacceptable for the Romanian Wikipedia. Unlike
Serbian (and Tatar, for example), Romanian is not a biscriptal language - it
is a language written in the Latin script. Making ro.wiki similar to
sr.wikimakes it seem as if the Cyrillic script is a script in which
Romanian can be
written as well, which is not true. The Cyrillic script for Moldovan is
being used in Transnistria only, and while there may be a need to cater for
content in that variant, mixing it up with the Romanian Wikipedia is, IMO,
much too contoversial. In total, only about 1% of total Romanian or Moldovan
speakers write in Cyrillic, and an increasingly large amount of them know
Latin as well.

People here know my viewpoints on such issues (I am very pro-minority
rights), but I personally find this proposal much too controversial. It
risks putting an end to the Romanian Wikipedia community.

Ronline