[Wikipedia-l] Moldovan Wikipedia

Jacky PB dpotop1 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 12 08:36:31 UTC 2006

There is a slight problem with your proposal: no Moldovan speaker ever asked for a Moldovan wikipedia. And, even more funny, there is no wikipedia user registered as Moldovan speaker (at any level) on meta.wiki, en.wiki, and ro.wiki. On mo.wiki, someone created the category, but it's void.  I suggest you all go and look for yourselves.

So, aren't you trying to solve a non-problem?

You know, just because Mark Williamson cries something strong enough does not mean he is right. Unfortunately, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that Mark actually represents an endangered minority. The problem is that he is this minority. Alone. I asked him several times before to post a list of Moldovan supporters. Or at least one. But he avoided the question.

And there is a second problem. He is not really part of the minority he claims to protect. And this is the real problem -- the fact that he hijacked the name of an existing people in order to promote some personal political beliefs that hurt the actual people he is claiming to defend.

Yours,
[[:en:Dpotop]], [[:ro:Dpotop]], [[:mo:Dpotop]]

Olve Utne <olve.utne at gmail.com> wrote: Hello everyone,

First of all: Don't worry -- this is my one and only posting on this topic.

The vote, while being clear in itself, has some VERY troublesome
aspects to it. And it doesn't seem to address what ought to be the
primary concern, namely to provide information to those
Moldovan-speakers who read Cyrillic script better than Latin script.

With the risk of being called names by some (please don't), I make
the following honest proposal:

1) Let the Moldovan Cyrillic Wikipedia be locked *but accessible* for now.

2) Install a Latin--Cyrillic converter similar to the one on SR:WP on
RO:WP. It does NOT need to be perfect, but it should render the text
REASONABLY intelligible in Cyrillic. It also (at least for now) needs
to work only from Latin to Cyrillic, since the editors seem to work
almost exclusively in Latin script.

3) Make a little snippet on the main page of :ro: to note that one
can view this WP in Cyrillic for the benefit of people in
Transdnistria and whoever else might prefer viewing the contents in Cyrillic.

4) Then -- and ONLY then --, archive the Cyrillic version and make it
an automatic redirect to :ro:.

This will *respect the decision* made in the vote, while it also
takes care of an important aspect which was left out of the process
-- namely, making the information available to ALL
Romanian-/Moldavian-speakers -- and especially those who may need
such information the most...

Respectfully,

Olve Utne

(from the admin team on Nynorsk Wikipedia)