[Wikipedia-l] What variant to use for Irish, Scottish and Welsh localities?

Francis Tyers spectre at ivixor.net
Sat Mar 11 16:09:52 UTC 2006

> Writing from the point of view of the Welsh Wikipedia, I'd suggest using
> the English name for simplicity, with the Welsh equivalent listed in the
> introduction, so that your readers both know that there is a Welsh name
> and what it is. Have a redirect from the Welsh name to the English one,
> as I presume most Romanians are more likely to know the English name. If
> you're doing a thorough list of Welsh place names the problem is fairly
> limited, because most villages will only have a Welsh name, it's just
> the cities and towns which may have two. There are a few places where
> the Welsh name has now supplanted the traditional English name, even in
> English usage - "Caernarfon" rather than "Carnarvon", and "Conwy" rather
> than "Conway".

In this case would it be more trouble to standardise on Welsh (with
English redirects) or English (with Welsh redirects) regarding
cities/places with two names. You are right though, it is mainly big
places (relatively speaking) that have two names, small villages tend to
just have a Welsh name (i.e. [[en:Mwnt]] or [[en:Blaenau Ffestiniog]]).

There are even some like Wrexham, Wrecsam which are fairly mutually
intelligible and in fact the Welsh would probably be easier for
Romanians to pronounce.

Anyone fancy doing a numerical count of all the places in Wales with
names in 1. Welsh, 2. English & Welsh, 3. English :))

Fran