[Wikipedia-l] What variant to use for Irish, Scottish and Welsh localities?

Andreas Vilén andreas.vilen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 12:44:42 UTC 2006

If the English name is the most common name in Romanian, use that one
and vice versa. It's all about the least possible surprise for the
readers. They want to find an article where they except it to be. We
don't have the article about Germany under "Deutschland" on enwiki,
even less under "Bundesrepublik Deutschland", or "United Kingdom"
under "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" (rowiki:
"Regatul Unit"). Just use the common names and write the official ones
in the info box, just like with all the countries and cities with
local (Romanian) names.

I'm Swedish and would be extremely surprised and confused if the
enwiki article about Sweden would be under the official name
"Konungariket Sverige" (The Swedish Kingdom), and would in that case
very much suggest a move of the article.

/Andreas