[Wikipedia-l] RFC: Principles of mass content adding on small Wikipedias

Milos Rancic millosh at mutualaid.org
Sat Mar 4 14:08:01 UTC 2006

On 3/4/06, V. Ivanov <amikeco at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, what is the algorythm?

Go to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mass_content_adding and find sub
project "Countries of the world".

Algorithm...:

1) Template infobox for countries: In this moment I added only
template infobox for countries from English Wikipedia. On the last
meeting (last Sunday) of Wikipedians from Belgrade, we were talking
about infobox for countries (they started talk not related to the
project Mass content adding) and we realized that infobox for
countries on English Wikipedia can be better. I'll try to talk with
them to improve English infobox for countries.

We need localization of this template (I think that I described that
on the page): values (so, value "capital" should not be written in
English on other Wikipedias) and left side (text from the left side of
the template; in general, phrases like "capital", "largest city"
etc.).

2) General translation: After that, we need translation/transcription
of the names of the countries, cities, languages etc. Maybe we can use
some developed localizations (like localizations of glibc, KDE, GNOME,
Unicode project etc.) But, I am not sure that Ossetic, Chuvash and
Udmurt have such localizations... However, I am sure that there are
some books from former Soviet Union with lists of countries,
languages, cities etc.

3) As I see, after "the first two steps", we would be able to start bots.

Also, note that we are at the beginning of the project. We need to
develop infrastructure (strategies, methods, programs,
localizations...). And all people with constructive ideas are welcome
not only to participate, but to drive the project.