[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia on iPod (Encyclopodia) available now

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Mar 1 18:28:49 UTC 2006

On 3/1/06, Ben Yates <bluephonic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Poking my head in:
>
> I don't have an particular argument, but this whole discussion feels
> very wrong.  Wikipedia should not be acting like a corporation -- it
> is not trying to make a profit; its mission is to spread knowledge.
> Period.

The Wikimedia Foundation *is* a corporation, and it should act like
one.  That said, I'd describe the problem here is more a lack of
Wikimedia acting like a corporation.

A corporate response to this would be simple, they'd refer the
situation to their licensing department - not argue about it on a
public mailing list.  A corporation would have a written trademark
licensing policy which any volunteers who want to poke their heads
into things could refer to (the referral Ant gave to
board at wikimedia.org serves nearly the same purpose, though).

Anthony