[Wikipedia-l] Preserving GFDL requirements when splitting articles

Michael Crouch creidieki at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 19:33:08 UTC 2005

I'm trying to improve the English Wikipedia's documentation on article
moves, and I had a GFDL question.  I hope this is the right place;
feel free to point me elsewhere.

Articles on En are often split in a cut-and-paste way, with material
from one article removed and put into another article.  None of the
documentation (that I can find) mentions anything about maintaining
the necessary authorship information.

I've been told several times (on [[Wikipedia:Help desk]] and
[[Wikipedia:Village pump (policy)]]) to simply mention in the edit
summary "This material moved from [[Foo]]".  Is this adequate for the
GFDL requirements?  I know we might not have a perfect solution to
this, but I didn't want to add anything to the documentation without
making sure it was correct.

In case it helps, I'm trying to update [[Wikipedia:How to rename
(move) a page]] and [[Wikipedia:How to break up a page]].

-- Creidieki