[Wikipedia-l] Re: Status of Wikimedia

Arbeo M arbeo_m at yahoo.de
Thu Nov 10 15:21:27 UTC 2005

Ronline wrote:

> I think that saying that people can make their own
> wiki somewhere else is not a good thing. Wikipedia
is
> already established, and the more regional languages
> we offer, the richer the encyclopedia becomes.

The fact that Wikipedia is now a well-known "brand"
might raise a new issue in the future: for some
languages (especially idioms where the attribute
"separate language" is disputed) it could look like
some kind of recognition or proof of their
distinctness if they are granted a subdomain here. In
those cases, new Wikipedias could be requested not for
the primary aim of collecting and distributing
knowledge (i. e. writing an encyclopedia) but rather
more or less solely for the aim of promoting a
language (or even the political, religious ect. idea
behind it).

Arbeo

P. S. Sorry for posting so much today!