[Wikipedia-l] Re: Status of Wikimedia

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:00:01 UTC 2005

On 11/8/05, Wikipedia Romania (Ronline) <rowikipedia at yahoo.com> wrote
> I find it amazing that there's a Wikipedia in Voro, or that there's
> a Wikipedia in so many Filipino languages, or in Breton,
> or in Cornish!

Yep :)

> *However*, as long as we force speakers of
> legitimate regional languages like Samogitian, Vlax
> Romany, Megleno-Romanian, Sorbian, etc, that haven't
> yet got a Wikipedia, to go through an over-rigorous
> proposal phase, we're going too far.

Don't "force" them -- just give them a place where they can create all
the content they want, whether or not they have met key milestones.
This is compatible with requiring certain levels of activity and
content before creating a new language domain.  I don't see any
contributors saying "I really want to start a Sorbian project, but I
will ONLY DO SO on a new domain..."

Similarly, I think one can distinguish between, say, Armenian and
Tokipona projects -- even in a very visible and obvious way -- without
too much elitism, 'isolation', or hard feelings.

SJ